Saturday, October 1, 2011

shhhhh, it's Secret!

My genius sister and I are starting a writing course together on Monday and, as such, have been added to a secret group on Facebook.  The word *secret* is cracking me up. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone. 

 All it really means is that those of us in the Secret Group are the only ones who can see the activities, posts, members of the Secret Group.  Still, shhhhhhh, it's a secret!! 

I'm really looking forward to this class, which will run from Monday until sometime in December, almost every week for 45 minutes or so. Naturally, I even enjoyed the homework -- since it meant I had to sit and think about the Why of taking this class and the What of my goals.  And since my sister's doing it and there's a no-questions-asked money-back guarantee, What The Hell, might as well jump in, see what happens next. 

My favorite thing about the homework, which was a long questionnaire, was answering the following question:

What type of writing are you personally interested in doing? Essays? Journaling? Poetry? Blogging? Fiction? Short Stories?

I am interested in non-fiction, first-person narrative.  I periodically write poetry, but a lot less now than in the past.  I would like to try my hand at fiction, but so far don’t feel like I have had a great idea.  Actually as I write this, I am remembering that I would REALLY like to write young adult fiction.  It’s a genre that I adore.  And I also have begun to sketch out a picture book for kids (and adults).

What a good question to be asked!  And what a great opportunity to sit and consider the answer.  

What might come of devoting 10 weeks to a writing group?  My biggest goals, as stated in the homework, are to develop some kind of schedule and some kind of plan.  Note the hedging (some kind of), but also it's me trying to stay open to possibilities, to not put any boundaries around what might be possible, what might emerge.  If nothing else, as above, it'll be something new to do with my sister, another source of shared vocabulary and stories.

I knew I wouldn't be able to go for long without some form of school in my life.  

Stay tuned.  Here we go!







No comments: