Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Epiphany: now I get why the 9-5 makes me crazy

I've been trying super hard to fit everything in this year, perpetually feeling behind-the-8-ball on various obligations, trying to cram all the things I want and need to be doing into each day and feeling lame when I can't pull it off.

And hating the hell out of my job.

So duh, little drive-time epiphany: I decided to stop trying to figure out why my job bugs me so much, and start instead thinking about how I would rather spend my time. Flipping the question around like this helped me get clear about what's not working for me and why my battle to do it all is a big loser.

Consider how I would prefer to spend each day:

- 1 1/2-2 hours of yoga
- 1 - 2 hours of hiking or otherwise being outside with Jasper
- 1 hour minimum of reading
- 1 1/2 - 2 hours of watching something entertaining (not mandatory)
- 2 hours of writing and thinking
- 1 hour of Home Ec: housekeeping, gardening, beekeeping, gen'l tending

That's a 12-hour day right there. Duh. Ain't no way to do that and keep an 8+ hour a day job.

Time to play the lotto.

No comments: