Sunday, February 17, 2008

Resting in the Heart

This morning's theme in yoga was that the earth is to the hips as the heart is to the mind, that you let your hips rest into the grounding of the earth and let your mind rest into the grounding of the heart - and from there the opening happens. Or as Ulrika said last Sunday, evolution happens, on its own, without forcing.

So for the most solid handstand I have ever felt, what was required this morning was that profound resting into the focal point of the heart, pouring my entire focus into it. Then came the straight, up-and-down power of the alignment - bam! I felt strength like I never have before in the pose, ease amidst the focus, and wow - super bonus! - solidity.

I don't remember having a single thought at all while I was upside down. I can only remember the sight of my hands and the floor between my hands, and the happy feeling of being totally lined up.

As usual, the physical practice is only the beginning. That happy feeling of being physically lined up is the same feeling I want all the time - especially off the mat. Especially at work. Especially when things or people feel challenging. If I rest into the heart at those times, hips into the earth, what evolution might be possible?

No comments: