Saturday, February 27, 2010

Baby, I Love You

I planted seeds last weekend, the first of the season. And darling little Arugula already emerged, 5 days later, sweet baby leaves reaching for the sun. Oh Arugs, how I love you. In just 35-40 days, I'll be adding you to everything on my plate.

It's so exciting to have begun the spring planting already. Last weekend I filled our seed starter, 12 each of Arugula, Broccoli, Cabbage, Chard, 48 Gourmet Baby Greens. Might seem like a lot, but we'll be trading some and generally growing a lot of food this year, now that we have twice the plantable space we had last spring. Tomorrow, I'll be sowing Peas, Carrots and Radishes directly into the newly-amended soil. Thank you, languid long vermicompost worms, for the black gold you gave us in exchange for all those ends of bread, vegetable peelings and dog hair! It's such a remarkable process every single time, how something becomes nothing and nothing becomes something all over again. Honestly, why look anywhere else for miracles, Dorothy, when they're right in your own backyard?

No comments: