Friday, December 17, 2010

Really, Moleskin: so bogus that you cause cancer...

I was just shopping for a 2011 notebook on Amazon.com and was about to put a replacement Large Squared Notebook in my cart when I noticed these words, California Residents: click here for Proposition 65 warning.  Since I've always bought my Moleskin in a stationers, I'd never seen such a notice before.  Really not happy to read the following:

WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.

God damn it, the cover is PVC.  That makes me so mad!

The Moleskin has been my go-to for years.  It offers so many excellent qualities: the weight of the paper, the way fountain-pen ink looks on the page, the binding and the way it lays flat when you open it.  Plus, the Large size is just perfect to carry everywhere in my hand or in my bag.  Perfect.

But no more.  

So now begins the search for a replacement notebook that offers all of the qualities I love about Moleskin without the cancer-causing chemicals.

Maybe everyone knows this already and I'm the slow-poke at the back just figuring this out, but damn it, I am so disappointed.  Thank goodness for California, otherwise I wouldn't even know.

Really, Moleskin: could you please get your shit together and do a little better than a PVC cover?  I used the Contact Form to ask them when they're planning on replacing the cover, letting them know how disappointed I am. Alternately, their email is info@moleskineus.com.  In case anyone else is interested in sending a good old fashioned letter (which I'll be mailing tomorrow, thanks), here's the address:

The European Paper Company
MoleskineUS.com
4775 Walnut Street Suite C
Boulder, Colorado 80301-2579


I've already received an automated reply to my email.  Fingers crossed that they have something great to tell me, like they're changing out the covers...  Oh Pollyanna, what will you take notes in now?

1 comment:

Ariane said...

Commenting on my own blogpost to relate how difficult it is, really, to find a replacement for the Moleskin, although I did just see something which reminded me that Borders has a very similar product, a lot cheaper, called Piccadilly. Checking it out forthwith.